Friday, June 28, 2013

Observations from my Coffee Table

I don't usually weigh in on controversial issues so I'm not going to defend the current Paula Deen situation. I don't know the woman so I don't know her morals or her character. I've never seen her cooking shows. I briefly saw her on a couple of talk shows during her pre-troubled times. I have some of her cookware and I really like them.

I don't agree with racial or sexual slurs on either side (no matter which side of the board a person is on). But hold the bus, I want to weigh in on the whole plantation worker issue. First of all, I doubt she forced anyone to work for her.  If she had insisted on all white servers, she would have been hauled to court just as quickly. But that's beside the point. My point is if we're going to take issue with the whole plantation issue then why hasn't  "Hooters" been shut down for exploiting women and making them dress a certain way?

That being said if this woman has used her power to bully or make people feel inferior, then by all means, make her answer for it and make amends. But good Lord, don't crucify her! After all, I'm sure there were a lot of people and companies making A LOT of money using her name.

As for her brother....well....he doesn't sound like a very desirable fellow. From what I've heard, he was the one doing the offensive things. But I notice very little of the media attention has been given to him. I find that VERY odd!

No comments:

Post a Comment